[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Friday, April 08, 2005

Welcome to where I live

They gave me a map when I arrived, and looking at it now, there is a drag store just up the road. Sounds exciting, doesn't it. Just when I thought I had managed to escape Sydney and all of the antics that the Sydney-siders get up to, here it is in my own backyard. Of course, its entirely possible that they meant to write 'drug store', but it sounds more interesting if I make it seem like I live in a culturally diverse area.

Having said that, I live in a dormitory for foreigners. Foreigners from near (China) and far (Bosnia ... or even Australia), but no one seems to be much interested in talking to people beyond their own ethnic/linguistic roots. The Koreans all seem to stick together, the Indians all seem to stick together, etc. I guess its up to me to unite the people of the world. On monday night, there is a 'welcome party' with free alcohol, whereby I hope to get absolutely smashed and 'spread da luv'.

Which brings me to my next point, or 'point of concern', actually. We're not allowed to have people 'sleep over'. In English, its written that we 'cannot live with another room', but those of us that can comprehend the various contortions that the Japanese put the English language through know that this means that people are not allowed to sleep over. With my 5 years of law school, I must be able to find a loophole....

There is also a 99 yen store. Not to be outdone by the 100 yen store. No. It is that additional 1 yen that makes all the difference (which is .922178 US cents or 1.19594 Australian cents - courtesy of XE Currency Coversion).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home