[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Anyone for a slice of whale?

Some people will know that I'm interested in whaling, and I produced an essay on the the cultural relevance of whaling in modern Japan. Few people will know about my life-and-death struggle with my arch-nemesis, Macquarie University - over my marks for that essay, but that's besides the point. When I was researching the topic at the Whaling Library in Tokyo, I stumbled across a cartoon in a Japanese Whaling newsletter (below). I incorporated it into my essay, with a translation, and I've put it on the blog for public viewing. I think the most interesting is the fact that it is about an Australian... talking in Japanese... to a sheep... which also speaks Japanese... about whaling... And this fine work of art was produced by the pro-whaling lobby. Or at least I assume so, seeing as the newsletter is called "Harpoon"...



[Panel 1]
Australian: It is not necessary to eat whale meat.
Sheep: That’s great news. So then it isn’t necessary to eat sheep, either.
Australian: No, no, no. People will eat sheep instead of eating whale meat.

[Panel 2]
Australian: All whaling is barbaric and cruel.
Sheep: But what about indigenous whaling practices?
Australian: The culture of the indigenous people is of great concern to us Australians. Whilst it is true that this are savage and cruel, we permit and tolerate such barbarity.

[Panel 3]
Australian: Whales are special, so you mustn’t kill them. Whalers are barbarians.
Sheep: Wouldn’t you say that is a subjective opinion? Different societies have their own respective views with regard to whales. Do you think that it is perhaps better to think that all living creatures are unique in their own right?

[Panel 4]
Australian: But whales are special because I believe them to be special. That’s what makes whales special.
Sheep: A ha ha ha ha ha……

---Whale toys at the reception of the Whaling Library---

------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Comments:

  • in spite of my poking fun at whaling and such, this is to go on record that i am not oppose to whaling.

    whaling and other form of hunting has been part of some cultures, let alone the natural course of the life-death cycle, as a way of life. however, commercialization and whaling as an industry is abhorrent to me. the mass hunting is not a part of the natural path of the life-death cycle. this is not an appropriate place for me to go into full details, so i'll just leave it at that.

    and, i agree with the sheep, "...all living creatures are unique in their own right?" down to the nasty wasp that seems to ruin every summer since i was 12.

    luckily for me, i went to a university with pass/no pass as the grading system, so the focus was on learning concepts rather than competing for a mark. :-)

    By Blogger Nam LaMore, at 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home