[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Monday, June 20, 2005

It's just not funny anymore

I am so busy, it's not funny. There was a time when it was funny - I'd laugh and laugh, and sometimes I'd laugh so hard I'd cry. Oh ho, the carefree hilarity of it all... But now, it isn't funny anymore. It's downright terrifying. And try as I might, hiding under the covers of my bed just doesn't work. Take this morning for example - I lay in bed, staring up at my blanket for a good 3 hours, but strangely enough, the paper I had to write summarising the varying theories on criminal justice in Japan ('benevolent paternalism' versus 'crime-control model' versus 'I-have-no-bloody-clue-but-it-seems remarkably-like-the-first-two-theories theory') did not materialise out of thin air.

So I find myself with a dozen books that I have to read AND understand, and only 2 months to do it in. Then after that, I have a conference to attend - I have made the extraordinarily silly move of submitting a paper proposal for a law conference for which I am hopeless underqualified, on a topic I only pretend to know something about, on an area of law that I'm too embarrassed to tell my law professors about because they've ridiculed me about my interest in it... I just can't escape the feeling that I'm standing infront of a firing squad. The remainder of this year does not look good the protagonist of this little melodrama...

1 Comments:

  • thought-provoking, mootable pv. just my thoughts, well anyways gl & be chipper is what i say

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home