[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Monday, June 06, 2005

A little older, a little wiser

After the past weekend, I'm a little older and a little wiser. And the sum total of my accumulated wisdom over these two days amounts to - If you need to catch the 8:23 train into the city to get to the airport by 11am, don't drink beer and bourbon & coke solidly from 9pm the night before to 4 in the morning... any other cosmic wisdom I may have attained in that period drowned in the copious amount of alcohol consumed.

I will say, though, that I have come to learn that kids that scream and cry on the train tend to scream and cry that little bit louder when you're hungover. So much so that one little 'precious angel' sitting four seats down from me on the train home almost found himself being flung out the window... Admittedly, its entirely possible that without manipulating the fabric of time and space, the kid would not have been able to fit through the very small window of the train - much less be 'flung' out of it. But focusing on the physical logistics of my plan took my mind of the throbbing migraine I had.

Which reminds me of one of the great things about the Japanese language - onomatopoeia. So I thought I'd do a bit of a Japanese language lesson on onomatopoeia in relation to drinking and the resulting hangover.

muka muka - to feel so woozy that you feel like you're going to throw-up
bero bero - to be drunk to the point of physical impairment (been there, done that)
kura kura - to feel dizzy and unsteady


I've got a Japanese language mid-term exam next wednesday, and if the whole of the exam isn't on drunk/hangover words, I am so screwed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home