[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Thursday, September 01, 2005

And now I can breathe

Well it's done - 40 days of being a social recluse in order to prepare for an exam it turns out I was hopelessly underprepared for. Of course, the exam would have to be on the only two subjects in the ENTIRE field of sociology of law (and its a big field) I neglected to study. It's like the eternal cosmic joke - it's as though the Cosmos says to itself in its ethereal voice - "How shall I piss off Kallun today?" But no matter. I'm over it. It's all in the past. And in that past 40 days and 40 nights, I...

  • Accumulated 42 bottles of coke, 32 paper cups of coffee, 16 newspapers, 12 bags of rubbish, 2 piles of clothes (whites and colours) yet to be washed and somehow or other, a moth, that I can never manage to catch - and I've nicknamed him "Speedy".
  • Read 4 law-related books - 2 x English, 2 x Japanese - on, as it turns out, exactly the WRONG areas of law for the exam... but at least I can cross them off my reading list.
  • Managed to sleep a total of 9 hours over a period of 4 days... and not at night. Insomnia is a bitch.
  • Ended up taking 14 sleeping pills (not at once, obviously) to cure said insomnia.
  • Spent a good 3 hours helping a fellow law student majoring in Private International Law understand the finer points of the doctrine of renvoi - after which I realised that I knew more about International Law than I did about the subject for which I was about to sit an exam.
  • Took a bunch of photos of campaign posters for a former lecturer of mine back in Australia for his politics class... this weekend, I'm going 'campaign hopping' with a mate of mine. This involves us going to watch the politicians stand on top of vans infront of train stations, holding half a dozen microphones in each hand (with white gloves), and taking photos of them.
  • And speaking of photos - interesting thing happened to me the other day. Got an email from a lady who is publishing a coffeetable book on Koalas, and she wanted to use one of the photos I took when I was a Koala Handler.
And that would be about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home