[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Friday, October 28, 2005

Clash of the Titans... or not...

It would've been spectacular. A Clash of the Titans!!! It had all of the ingredients that legends are made of - the classic story of two friends set against each other, battling it out in a desperate struggle to gain that upper hand - that single moment when time slows to a crawl, and you see that glimpse of outright hopelessness flash across the eyes of your opponent, the scent of despair intoxicating, and then you gorge unapologetically on their soul... A bitter sweet victory. A bloody defeat. (Some have called me a competitive person, but I can't imagine why...)

But sadly, that won't be happening... this year, at least. The stage was set for war. It seemed almost that the Cosmos had engineered the fabric of time to culminate in this one moment - a battle of brilliant legal minds - between Aunty M and myself. Both of us were drafted by the law faculties of different universities to represent their institutions in the English-speaking division of the National Negotiation/Arbitration Competition later this year. As it turned out, the draw put her team up against mine in round 1... well, at least that's what she told me. Apparently, the words "Lets crush Kallun!" were uttered. Foolish mortals... they don't seem to realise that they're dealing with a Titan here. Clearly, Aunty M neglected to read my post about my negotiating prowess.

But none of this matters. It is all moot. When I checked the draw on the internet myself, I noticed something very interesting. I noticed that yes, indeed, her team was set to confront my university. That much is true. The chest thumping becomes significantly less intimidating, though, when one reads that her team is actually registered in the Japanese-language division, and not English-language division for which my team and I are registered under. In fact, she'll be facing off against the Japanese-language team that my faculty is also fielding. I wish Aunty M and her team the best of luck, but sadly, it won't be me that her team will be crushing. There will be no clash of the Titans this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home