[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

First week in the Gwat

One week of my three week stay here has come and gone pretty quickly, and I'm still loving it. I'd say that the only 'stain' or 'smear' on my experience in Guatemala thus far is that we're not allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet - either its a unique quirk of the plumming here, or the Guatemalans have a wicked sense of humour and like tricking the gullible foreigners. Either way, the bin located next to the toilet to be used for disposal is like footprints in the sand of a beach, telling you about all the people who had been there before you...

Getting to Guatemala from Tokyo was an exercise in patience that tested the very limits of my sense of humour. I left at 3pm on Tuesday, and arrived at 10pm on Tuesday... Either this means that yes, I can in fact bend the fabric of time and space, or that crossing over half a dozen times zones has screwed with my sense of reality.

At any rate, I had crap all sleep that night, and ended up being subjected to a full day (7 hours) of Spanish language classes. Not the most intelligent move I ever made. On the second day, in my less fatigued state, I managed to amaze and astound my teachers with just how much I failed to remember from the previous day. I was so moved by their exasperation and hair-pulling that I redoubled my efforts, and by the end of the day I was well ahead of schedule.

The house I'm staying at is great (will post photos soon). I share it with half a dozen other language students. The house and its surrounding walls are carefully adorned with statues of jesus christ, assorted Disneyland memorabilia, and skin-shredding glass shards and cardio-shocking electrified barbed wire. I can't decide whether it's designed to keep people out, or to keep people in. We just had a bunch of new people move into the house, and we've decided to institute a hazing ritual where they're only allowed into the house if they make their way over the electrified wall. If they make it inside, they can stay. If they make it in alive, all the better... I fooled one of the new people by telling her that we (the other students and I) always say grace before dinner and that it's customary for new people to say grace on the evening they arrive. The girl was distraught and mumbled her way through something unintelligible... and so my reign of terror continues.

In addition to the orchestra of birds, barking dogs, church bells and the occassional explosion of fire crackers, it turns out that my neighbours are budding musicians. I know this because they're reasonably proficient at playing the same few bars of "Stairway to Heaven". I say 'reasonably' because they're getting a few chords wrong, and their either woefully oblivious or they don't let it dampen their enthusiasm and continue droning on, paying no heed to my now tenuous grip on sanity.

That's all I have to report for now.

9 Comments:

  • Are you still surviving? Just because we dont comment doesnt mean that we arent here checking to see what you are up to....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 AM  

  • Pictures please.

    By Blogger Scarlet Hip, at 11:07 AM  

  • I'm still alive. I had my photos burnt onto a CD yesterday, so I'll try and upload them when I get a chance. I've been going out everynight since I've been here, I went to a resort last weekend, and am off to see the Mayan pyramids this weekend. Will try and write something soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 AM  

  • how soon is now?

    By Blogger Loz, at 9:11 PM  

  • Thailand has the same plumbing quirk. Its okay when you are in your own room with your own loo but occasionally frightful when you are at the public dunnies. The equivalent of the person before not flushing is when they have missed the bucket placed there for the paper.... sometimes this is because the bucket gets full, like the NYE in the quay idea of if you throw it in the general direction of an overfull bin it is technically the same as geting it in. But sometimes I reckon people misfire maliciously...

    Imagine if they introduced this plumbing rule to Japan???!! It would give a whole new meaning to separating burnable and non-burnable garbage... You would have to have a separate collection day for REALLY (explosively) burnable garbage, like loo paper used the morning after a night on the turps. (or save it up for the beginning of summer to assist with [blue] fireworks and general mosquito repellent concepts)

    Still...jokes aside, it makes much more environmental sense.

    Aah, you never update anymore. I am forced to amuse myself...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 PM  

  • It gets better actually.

    The dog that lives in my house is imprisoned on the roof, and is never let out. But he managed to escape the other day, and he´s the kind of puppy that likes to chew things. So as luck would have it, he made it into the toilet paper basket, and both the toilet paper and its contents were spread out over the bathroom...

    By Blogger KJ, at 10:51 AM  

  • that's disgusting.
    i demand non-faeces related entertainment.

    By Blogger Loz, at 8:02 PM  

  • what is wrong with poo humour? Besides, we take what we can get from him these days.

    (hint, hint)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 PM  

  • The toilet paper thing is quite common in 3rd world countries - the plumbing just isn't designed to cope with toilet paper being flushed.

    If you think it's gross to put it in a bin beside the toilet, I can tell you that it is far worse when people flush the paper and someone then has to come along and clean out the pipes because they are clogged. When I was working in China, our office building was directly across the road from a 5* hotel and the sewerage pipes had to be regularly de-clogged of toilet paper that was flushed - really not a pleasant smell!!

    By Blogger Jules, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home