[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Salsa

Personally, I think it's amazing - I can go to Central America and spend an entire month going out every night, and not once step foot into a salsa dance club, and yet, the moment I get back into Japan, I arrange to go to salsa dance classes. And so that's what I did last night.

Never have I been to a bar/club where the women vastly outnumber the men. I was kinda worried at first though, because the only people that were there were myself, an Australian girl and 2 other guys... and with that kind of gender ratio, and salsa not being a group dance, it was looking likely that the Israeli ex-army dude and I would have to have a very heated discussion about gender reassignment. Luckily, a bunch of Japanese girls joined the class, and the Israeli guy and I didn't have to stress about which one of us would be twirling the other.

It all went really well. You would have to be very generous to call what I was doing "dancing", but I had fun, and I didn't step on any toes, so that was good. At one point, the Australian girl in the class said that I danced like an Australian guy... which, to an Australian guy, is a compliment, but I was told later that it wasn't meant as one. When I go back next week, I have high hopes that when I dance I'm going to be able to move my legs AND my arms at the same time.

8 Comments:

  • how cool! wish i could go too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 AM  

  • are you ready to go on Dancing With the Stars yet?

    By Blogger Loz, at 4:37 PM  

  • Not yet - maybe in a few weeks time...

    By Blogger KJ, at 12:39 AM  

  • legs AND arms??

    you must be an exceptionally evolved male to pull of such an unheard of feat!!!

    By Blogger diadima, at 6:29 AM  

  • Wait wait wait!

    I didn't say that I COULD move my legs and my arms, I simply said that maybe one day, far far off into the future, after a lot of training, that I might be able to.

    After that, I hope to be able to dance with a smile on my face, and not look constipated... but one step at a time.

    By Blogger KJ, at 6:49 PM  

  • I've never seen an Australian man dance. Ever.

    By Blogger Scarlet Hip, at 11:11 PM  

  • You should see me on the dance floor, Brooke baby - I'm a Patrick Swayze and John Travolta combined. I've got gyrating hips like you wouldn't believe!

    Just come to Japan and see! ;-)

    By Blogger KJ, at 6:22 AM  

  • Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

    By Blogger Loz, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home