[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

My second and third weeks in the Gwat


So 356 days of blogging came and went, and I didn't even realise it. I've been going out pretty much every night, and travelling for the past two weekends.

First of all, I love it here in Antigua. It's a relaxed tourist town, and there is always something to do, and someone to meet up with. The picture to the left is of the volcano, Agua, and was taken near my language school. It's a nice enough photo, but it'd look a hell of a lot better if it erupted, and lava started flowing down the streets... fingers crossed.

Towards the end of my second week here, my morning teacher (I have one in the morning, and another in the afternoon) had a sore throat, and so her voice was pretty husky all morning... verb conjugation has never sounded so sexy. It was especially funny when she then turned to me, looking at me with concern in her eyes, and in her deep, titillating husky voice asked me "Do have a goma?" Not knowing what a goma was, I looked it up in the dictionary... turns out it means "condom". I stared back at her in disbelief... never have I been asked if I have a condom at 9.30 in the morning by a teacher. I pointed to the dictionary, confused, wondering what she would say if I said "Yes, I do have one." She looked at it and burst out laughing... turns out that goma is another word for "hangover" over here... After this moment of frivolity, she asked me again,

[Her] So, do you have a goma?
[Me] Yes.
[Her] When you say yes, do you mean a hangover or a condom?

I wouldn't tell her...

Anyway, here are some more photos from my time here. I hope to write some more in a few days time.

----------A cathedral in Antigua--------------

------The resort I went to 2 weekends ago---------

--The Antiguan sunset seen from the roof of my local pub--

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Beautiful photos there.

    Also I'm pretty sure your husky teacher wants to get jiggy wit u. Bow chicka bow bow.

    By Blogger Loz, at 6:37 PM  

  • Soounds like you are having a great time Kal. Hey, just imagine the points that you would have received if you did have a hangover.... Take care and have fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 PM  

  • Nice phottos!!
    You are enjoying the travell?
    ;)

    By Blogger pisconight, at 8:47 PM  

  • [Loz] I've got plenty more photos. And one with my teacher, too... bow chicka bow wow...

    [Brian] I have earned some points here.

    By Blogger KJ, at 12:50 AM  

  • The toilet paper thing is quite common in 3rd world countries - the plumbing just isn't designed to cope with toilet paper being flushed.

    If you think it's gross to put it in a bin beside the toilet, I can tell you that it is far worse when people flush the paper and someone then has to come along and clean out the pipes because they are clogged. When I was working in China, our office building was directly across the road from a 5* hotel and the sewerage pipes had to be regularly de-clogged of toilet paper that was flushed - really not a pleasant smell!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

  • [pisconight] Thanks. I am enjoying it, but will be happy to go home, I think.

    [Jules] Yeah, I figured as much. I only hope that I remember to flush it when I get back to Japan, and not just toss it beside the toilet...

    By Blogger KJ, at 11:07 AM  

  • waw!! I thought u went there for travelling...

    yoku benkyo- shiteru ne!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home