[Chief Prosecutor] Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Please visit my site

An Aussie in Japan

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Me v the Cosmos - Round 72

Some might be aware that I'm locked in a constant war with the cosmos. And now I've just gone another round with it. Now... just now... maybe 20 mins ago, actually, the electricity in my room went out.





Sidenote - In the dormitory I live in, we have to pay-as-we-go for electricity and water. There are charge machines in the lobby, where you can credit your account with yen, and there is a little panel on the wall near the entrance of the room that tells you how much money you have left in your account for electricity. Simple rule No money=no electricty or water

So here I was, typing an email and - bam - pitch black. Fine. No drama, I think to myself, I can deal with this - all I need to do is get my wallet and put some more money in the machine... now where is that wallet? I reach over to turn the desklamp on... I press the button once... twice... I now recall that I have no electricity ... bloody stupid bloody electricity dammit hell bloody bastard.

Not to worry - I know the wallet is somewhere on the desk so I reach out, feel something hard against my knuckles and oops - I knock a glass of the table. I know its a glass because it makes a nice ringing sound as it hits the ground and shatters into, ooh - I dunno, 149 pieces. My room has now become a commando obstacle course.

I find my mobile phone, and use the light from it to find my wallet... now for the obstacle course. With the light of the phone (which needs to have a button pressed every so often in order to keep the light going), I step onto my bed, and then carefully onto a pile of library books that I have on the floor and then jump onto a towel that is lying on the floor and then out the door... HA HA - SCREW YOU, COSMOS! Turns out there is some benefit to having a messy room. Who'd've thunk it?

And this wasn't the first time. No. Not 4 days ago, on the morning of the first day of my exams, I had managed to get all of 3 hours of sleep, I had a dozen things to do, and 10 mins to do them all in before I had to leave for Uni in order to make it to my exam on time. One of the things I had to do was to have a shower to try and wake up. So I jump in, water on, soap, shampoo... and then... no more water... no more light... and a lot of shampoo running in my eyes. I just stood there in my tiny shower - all sudded up and nowhere to go. Never one to give up, I jump out of the shower, and get a bottle of cold water out of the fridge and rinse myself off.

You would've thought that I'd have learnt my lesson then, and that this most recent incident could've been avoided. You'd think so, wouldn't you. But no.

Again, the cosmos has made me its bitch. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home